November 11, 2016

Happy 20th Anniversary Creatures!

As many of you may (or may not) know, today officially marks twenty years since the release of the original Creatures game on PC. The first entry in the creatures series, it is considered by a lot of people to be the "perfect" Creatures game, and also helped introduce us to the loveable norns that we still all love to this day! The game also introduced the scaly grendels, which although seemed scary at first, were actually all not that bad with a few tweaks to the game's scripting.

I've not really been active in the community recently, but decided this would be a good opportunity to return for short while as this is quite a special occasion indeed. I did originally plan a piece of fan art to commemorate the occasion, but I've been too busy with uni work recently and never got far from doing a few initial sketches. I'm also probably not going to release anything for the CCSF this year - I did hope to finish off an Ant Norn breed for C3/DS earlier this year but unfortunately life has taken over. Regardless, I hope everyone continues to enjoy Creatures for many years to come, and if anyone has any memories to share about your creatures experience please talk about them in the comments!

5 comments:

  1. I hope to see some more from you, C-Rex! I always enjoy reading about the interesting things you're working on, or what's going on in your worlds. Funny that you and I have some similar 20th anniversary graphics! The Norn and Grendel seemed all too perfect, especially since Grendels have gotten a boost to their perception over the years. I will never forget the silly times I had in Creatures long, long ago when it first came out. I had no idea what I was doing, and I do believe I was just awful at helping the Norns! There were also the Christmas Eve wolfling runs I had with my family for a couple of years... And they always failed miserably because we forgot about the screensaver and power saving options, so we would wake up in the morning to find that things had progressed by a whopping 20 minutes. Ha! Here's to many more years of making memories, enjoying the community, and learning more about the interesting world of Creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica - in all honesty, I was pretty shocked myself to see how alike they are. Great minds think alike right? I've actually recently been thinking about rebooting my creatures livestreaming service whilst I'm at uni - I'm not paying any electric bills so might as well make the most of it! However, I should mention I don't have my C1 world that I write about on my current PC, but I'm staying with my parents tomorrow so I guess I could pick it up on a USB from the laptop I have it stored on.

      As always, good to see you commenting on my blog, and keep up the good work with Discover Albia!

      Delete
    2. I guess we were on the same wavelength! I'm certainly interested to see some more livestreaming from you and anything else Creatures-related. I know what it's like to be busy with college/university, though, so no pressure. When you have the time, I'm sure you'll have some awesome posts to share! Best of luck!

      Delete
  2. Hey, good to know you're still kicking around out there! I understand being so busy, but I'm glad you were able to take the time to say hi on the anniversary. Hope things are going well for you in uni and the rest of your non-creatures life too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amai! I believe you also went to uni at some point too didn't you? I'm really enjoying it at the moment, and I can say that I've adjusted to living independently quite well! I've not really been around the community lately - things drifted apart a bit since I left Creatures Caves, but I'll still try to find time for Creatures whenever I can!

      Delete