March 21, 2019

Ali's Response + My Views On Paid User Content

As anyone who read yesterday's blog post will know, I recently got in touch with Ali regarding the Chao Created Online store and the current status of the paid metarooms. Rather surprisingly, I received a response:

Hi C-Rex

Thanks for getting in touch!

I’m actually having an entire month off over the Summer, and I intend to dig through my old CD-ROMs and Zip disks and bring all of my Creatures downloads back online. I’ll likely still have Montu/Ostrova as a premium items, but all money raised will be donated to Child’s Play.

I’m quite looking forward to digging through everything! I miss the community (and the game!) a ton.

Best wishes,
Ali

To put it bluntly, I've never agreed with paying for fanmade mods, especially when they're almost twenty years old and while I do appreciate the money being used for charity, it seems that charging money, or at least the same amount they were sold for last time, would be a waste of them due to low demand, as Ostrova's graphics are incredibly dated now and there are far better-looking metarooms out there which are available for free. Personally, I believe the right thing to do would be to release a statement allowing members to share the metarooms privately between them, much like the official breed packs, because let's face it, the community isn't what it used to be, and unless Spil bother to release Creatures Family, we're likely to be in this situation for quite a while.

Do you agree with paid mods? Feel free to leave a comment discussing your views! 

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I see where you are coming from, but is it possible we don't have the whole story here? I get the feeling reading this letter that Ali may not have the permission of the creators (who are out of touch) to release them for free, and probably wouldn't feel right keeping all the profits either, so donating to charity seems like a reasonable medium that would at least make those long-gone modifications available again.

    Personally, I will gladly pay for them if they become available again, assuming the price is reasonable. Even though they are 20 years old, in my view they are still an important part of community history and have been unavailable for a long time, therefore worth something in their own right. Even if it was a long time ago, I feel like a lot of effort went into them; the original graphics those in those mods that were more difficult to produce back then than they are now.

    I guess I personally feel that regardless of if someone is working on an original work or a derivative one, there's still a lot of time, effort, and skill that goes into those creations. Even though it's been the culture of this particular community to give freely, if someone wanted to seek compensation for their time and skill, I wouldn't begrudge them (though I could always decide not to pay if I didn't feel like it was worth it). I feel like it's important to at least acknowledge and appreciate their efforts (after all, unappreciated developers are less likely produce new content for us!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I would pay for them but i can see both sides of this debate, I say let the people decide whether they are worth the price

    ReplyDelete