November 10, 2015

Regarding Creatures Online


It should come to no surprise that Creatures Online has unfortunately been postponed due to lack of funds. I for one was not surprised, as the came itself has been in development for nearly five years! Such a thing is quite tragic, and it's saddening to know that the game may never see the light of day.

Of course, there are the other people who are rejoicing in this fact. I for one completely understand why peoples' cynicism with the game due to the free-to-play approach Fishing Cactus have chosen along with the Norn and gameplay redesigns. However, I believe some of the things people have been saying has been bordering on just plain hate; wishing for the company to go bankrupt is mean-spirited and selfish, especially given the fact this company has gone and resurrected an undeniably dead franchise (bar the community) with the risk it may or may not become a success for them. I find such comments very tiresome and I am quite frankly fed up with this attitude. Until Fishing Cactus have released Creatures Online, and people have actually experienced the gameplay for themselves, these criticisms have little to stand on.

Finally I apologise for the negative tone of today's post, but I had to get it off my chest. Unfortunately my opinions on various people around the community has changed a lot these past few months, but I certainly won't let this stand in the way of my enjoyment of the games!

1 comment:

  1. I agree: Although I'm definitely not a huge supporter of Creatures Online, I always thought that it would bring the Creatures series into the spotlight for a new generation. It was nice to see it getting some attention on this scale! I don't agree with how the companies communicated a lot of the information, but I do hope that something good comes from all this. I'm still hoping my contact at BigBen can share some more information. I can't promise anything, but I'll be sure to pass along anything I learn!

    I can't say I loved where Creatures Online was headed, yet you're right: It's not fair to characterize it as something horrible when no one actually played it. The videos left much to be desired, but one never knows what things might have been up for changes. At the very least, I hope our small but strong community continues to keep Creatures alive! We've been around this long without a new game: Just means we have lots of other things to enjoy, and more add-ons we can create to make the originals even better!

    ReplyDelete